Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Luck of the Irish




On Day 8, while taking a side hike on Rooster Rock Trail, I discovered a most amazing sight. As the trail curved, just around the bend was a bed of clover by a crystal clear mountain stream. It was so beautiful, so green, so intense. What to do, should I continue the hike or stop and look for that elusive four-leaf clover, the symbol of good luck? Well, I figured this Irish girl had been very lucky already just seeing this beautiful sight and who knows what might lie ahead just around the next bend. With limited time, I trekked on a bit further curious as to what I would see before turning back to pick up Ted. And I knew the luck of the Irish was with us both, as at about the same moment I had spotted the clover he was crossing Tombstone Pass. And I thought of this Irish Blessing so appropriate for Ted everyday of his journey on his Walk Across Oregon:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.


The sight that awaited me just around the bend

A bed of clover

A clear mountain stream

1 comment:

  1. Dear Phyllis and Ted: What a great adventure for both of you. Love the blog Phyllis and the photos of the walk. Henry and I were in Eagle Crest for a very quick 2-day trip and I just drove across Oregon to my parents in Boise, ID. I agree with "say no to 55 mph" (by the way, Ted, I went 80 most of the time! We will continue to track your progress -- thanks for keeping in touch. Jan and Henry

    ReplyDelete