Friday, May 14, 2010

He's a "Beaver Believer"

Ted at Oregon State University

After Day 3’s walk ended in Philomath, we hopped in the car and headed for Corvallis. As we neared Corvallis, Ted’s excitement became palatable. You see, Corvallis is the home of Oregon State University, Ted’s alma mater. The first thing we had to do, upon arrival, was to head to campus for what I describe as, the “Beaver Tour.” “Now this was my dorm my first year, and here’s where I took math in the old Armory at 7:30 A.M. my freshman year, here’s my fraternity house, and here’s ..…………”

If it’s any consolation, I’ve done the same to Ted when touring the University of Texas. “Now here’s where I lived my first two years, here’s Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium where I ran 10 laps every night instead of studying, here’s my sorority house, and here’s………………” But now that I think about it, this is my third “Beaver Tour” to Ted’s one and only “Longhorn Tour”. Perhaps a trip to Austin in order.

There’s something about a college town, be it Corvallis, Oregon or Austin, Texas, with all the energy and excitement that thousands of college age kids bring. And upon our return, we briefly relive our youth, the fleeting yet formative time that we refer to as the “college years”. Those years, a brief moment, a slight predictor of things to come, we remember, we smile, we move on.


The house Ted lived in during his latter college years

No comments:

Post a Comment